NEVER RENT FROM HOMETEAM PROPERTIES.
Background: here & here.
Seriously. If you're considering renting from them next year, DO NOT DO IT. If anything happens to go wrong or they decide to do construction on your house (and of course, you'll have no choice or input and just be expected to allow them to waltz in and do construction in your bedroom/bathroom/living room whenever they want and allow them to destroy your property without complaining and at the same time try and increase your rent by $200, um ew) - they will be complete assholes. If you've read my past entries, you know the situation at my apartment is essentially unlivable, dangerous, uncomfortable, disgusting, dirty, and violating health codes. THE CONSTRUCTION WORKERS ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR SARS MASKS BECAUSE THE AIR IS SO UNHEALTHY TO BREATHE, YET WE ARE EXPECTED TO JUST DEAL WITH IT AND LIVE THERE. HI, SAME AIR, PEOPLE.
Well, HomeTeam is threatening to take us to court, essentially saying we CAN NOT move out and furthermore they want to increase our rent.
Here is the law regarding landlords:
1. Obey all health and safety laws and regulations.
2. Make all repairs needed to maintain the property in good condition.
3. Keep all common areas safe, clean and in good repair.
4. Maintain in good working order all electrical, plumbing, heating and air conditioning fixtures and applications which the landlord provides or is required to provide.
5. Provide and maintain garbage cans and provide for trash removal where there are four or more units in the building.
6. Supply running water and enough hot water and heat at all times, unless there are separate heat or hot water units for each dwelling unit and the utility fees for the heat and hot water are paid directly by the tenant to a public utility company.
7. Give at least 24 hours notice to a tenant before trying to enter their apartment and enter only at reasonable times unless there is an emergency.
8. Not abuse the right to enter.
Obviously, I've bolded the areas that they have violated MULTIPLE times.
Avoid this company at all costs, for your own sanity, time, and money.